Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Love me some playdough...
I make my own playdough for school. One simple reason, it's cheap. Other reasons, it makes a big batch, I can put GLITTER in it, and it is super, super soft and lasts longer than store bought.
I got this recipe from a blog called Make and Takes last summer. LOVE IT (said in my best wheezy voice from dragon tales).

Play Dough Recipe (this can be halved for smaller ball)
2 c. Flour

½ c. Salt
2 c. Water
2 T. Vegetable Oil
¼ c. Cream of Tartar (found in spice section)
Pour all ingredients into a large saucepan. Food coloring can be added here if desired, 5-7 drops. Turn to med-high heat and stir constantly until the mix becomes very warm and starts to form together, about 3-5 minutes. Do not over heat, it will burn. Continue stirring until the mix forms into a playdough ball. Remove from heat and pour ball onto a wax paper sheet. Let cool for a few minutes and then knead until soft, 2-3 minutes. Food coloring can also be added during the kneading process as well, especially if you want to split the dough and use 2 or more colors. I suggest wearing baggies over your hands if doing this. Store your play dough in a ziplock bag and in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, or until little white spots develop.


I DO NOT REFRIGERATE my playdough. It hasn't gone bad yet. Lasts for about 1 1/2 months with kids playing with it everyday at center time.
Enjoy

1 comment:

:Jayne said...

This was my playdoh recipe when I was in the classroom too! You can also use scents to make it smell too! Cinnamon, peppermint, and koolaid makes it smell good. Just put a regular packet of Koolaid in it, no sugar needed. The kids love it!