Friday, March 02, 2007

Sometimes, I wonder and ask why?
I just discovered the wonderful song "I wonder" by Kellie Pickler. Kelli was a contestant on American Idol last year, and did pretty well. The song "I wonder" is about her mother. Her mother left her with her father when she was just a toddler and had very little contact with her after that. So...my question is..
HOW?
How can a mother (or father) walk away from a child? How can anyone be content with NEVER seeing their child again, or seeing their child every other weekend. ME..I couldn't live without my children and the chaos they provide. I love them. Sometimes, they are hard to like..but I love them. I always want them here, right here, with me. I know people who don't care. They don't care if their kids are provided for...it's an ALL ABOUT ME game with them. Poor, pitiful, me, and you know what? That sucks..it sucks for these kids. These kids are left wondering, "what did I do wrong? How can I be better? How can I change what was wrong?" When in all honesty..the fault/weakness lies with the adult. I just can't believe how irresponsible parents are these days. Oh some people will say "I have to give so and so credit, because at least they know they can't provide for the child." Ya know what? It still doesn't make it easier for a child to accept the hurt, anger, and pain of knowing you aren't wanted.
wendy

3 comments:

supermom said...

i see what you are saying. i don't know how a parent could do such a thing to their child. the child only grows up wondering what they did wrong. but much of it stems from the way the parent was raised by their own parents. they may not know how to give the love and the nurturing, because they didn't receive it as a child. unfortunately, sometimes these people are better off not having children, rather than producing more and more and more to keep repeating the cycle. they must search deep within themselves to find love and they may not know how to give or receive it. it is a sad sad story. it is not fair, it only hurts the child and does make them wonder.

JEN said...

I thought the same thing when she was singing that song. I also wondered if her mom was watching and if she has made contact with Kelly since she was on American Idol. When they first said that Kelly had co-wrote the song it caught me by surprise but I thought the song was very touching and you could tell she was so emotional singing it.
Did you catch it when Ryan asked her what she has spent her money on and she said shoes - and he was looking straight at her ummm "headlights"? Aaron commented on those right away...Holy Toledo, Bob! heehee

Cindy said...

I don't believe giving up a child is as simple as it may sound. I worked with a woman that gave her daughter up for adoption. Years later she was able to re-unite with that girl. They have a tender, loving relationship now. The woman gave her up because she was young herself. She thought she was totally unable to raise a child to adulthood when she was a child herself. I would rather see that happen than some of these 14 year old girls keeping their babies "because they want something to love them". Let me tell ya, if you have been around a 13 year old going thru puberty love is not what you are getting from that child!!! :) Anyway, I guess the point I am trying to make is this: If you truly care about the welfare and the well being of that child, it takes more love to do the right thing and leave it/give it to the person that can do right by them. There are so many emotions involved in these situations, I don't think it is so easy to judge the mother. I have also seen it from another woman's point of view, she was raped when she was 12, her parents raised the boy she had as her 'brother'. She had been sent to the grocery store when she was drug into the back of a car by a man, and raped. She went home and didn't tell her parents, her fatehr drank and was very stern, she felt her dad would have somehow blamed her. This was in about 1935. She said the boy turned into a fine young man, but if there would have been a choice, she would have aborted him, and her parents would have supported that decision. But, because of the decision that was made, she never felt anything toward the boy other than sisterly love, and her parents treated him like a son. Weird, but true. Cindy