Thursday, February 01, 2007

I make a difference....

What Teachers Make......
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest;"You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?" Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...) "Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor. I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an iPod, Game Cube or movie rental... You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.) I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make them apologize and mean it. I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions. I teach them to write and then I make them write. I make them read, read, read. I make them show all their work in math. I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity. I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe. I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, because we live in the United States of America. Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life. (Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)"Then, when people, like you, try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant... You want to know what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?"
Just got this in an email from a fellow teacher. I guess I never thought of my self this way. But we do. We make a difference everyday. Sometimes we are the ONLY safe place a student has. Sometimes we are the ONLY ones who make them feel good about themselves, sometimes we are the ONLY people who will help THEM make a difference in their lives. You know what? It is all worth it. I know I am blessed as a teacher when Ihave been gone for a day (or two) and when those wonderful faces walk through my door in the morning and say, "Miss Wendy! You're back! I missed you!" Yes..I am blessed.
whimp

2 comments:

Cindy said...

This is an amazing thing that you just shared with us, thank you! Teachers have a job I would not have at all! It does not pay, but one thing I can also tell you, if not done right, that teacher can make a statement offhanded that will affect the way a child views him/herself the rest of their life! Ask me, I know! I had a guidance counselor tell me I couldn't go to college. He said it was because I couldn't get there, and nobody would help me, besides I was destined to have a 'housefull of kids and not be able to pay my bills, just like my Mom." It did nothing but motivate me to make a change in my life and how I lived that life. So, instead of taking away my hope, he made me determined to change my life to benefit my children. I can only hope that is what has happened. Sometimes you just don't know. Cindy

Deanne said...

This is what I have been trying to tell you...maybe not quite so eloquently but it is just the same. I know it is tough but you can do it. You love those kids and you can't let one idiot adult take away the only hope those kids have. You ARE blessed and you have been since the day you decided to be a teacher. Hang in there Sis, It will be worth it in the end.
Love you.
D.