Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Ponderings of a young mind...
Tonight, as Riles and I were finishing the last touches on dinner (Chicken Alfredo), she said this to me. "I don't want to die. I'm scared to die." Me: "What brings this up for us to talk about big girl?" Riles (as tears fill those big, beautiful brown eyes) said "I've just been thinking about it. If I die, I have to grow up and leave here. I don't want to leave here. I want to be here with you and dad." Me: (who happens to be bawling at this time) said "Oh Riles, death isn't something to fear. You get to live with Jesus in his  garden. You would get to see Grandpa Coates and Haddie. ("and Buddy!" she says), and sit on Jesus's lap or at his table and visit with him. The sun would shine everyday, and I bet rainbows appear too. Death is another step to living. We can't all live forever."  Riles: "I just don't want to die. It scares me to bad." She then gave me the biggest bear hug and wouldn't let go. So, what do I say to her to calm her fears? She said she has been thinking about it "a lot on my mind lately." I don't know how to help her "get it off her mind."
whimp

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I don't know how to calm their fears either..Faylynn told her mom that she was scared I would get sick and die too when I was taking care of my dad. I tried to explain to her that Cancer isn't contagious but I still can't ease her mind either. All she said to me when my dad died, was that now he is taking care of Haddie and reading her stories and playing with her but I was staying here to do that with her, right?