Sunday, May 25, 2008


I Remember...
I will always remember. The people who have served our country. In some way or another. I remember.
I remember being a small child and my dad telling funny stories of when he was in the Navy. Something regarding a 5 gallon bucket, and having to yell something into it. I remember him telling us about being near the Suez Canal, or had just been there when it was bombed. I remember looking through his Navy yearbook.
I remember being in Kindergarten, and my big brother joining the Army. I remember him sending big boxes of presents home from Korea. Coats with our names on them. A complete set of fatigues, complete with our last name on them, for Mike, brass statues, kimonos for shell and I.
I remember being in High School, and Ron going to Desert Storm. I remember being so scared. I remember driving down a runway to go pick him up when he came home, I remember the signs we made, and how happy we all were to see him home ALIVE.
I remember picking my brother Mike up from the airport after basic training. I remember gathering with my sisters at Deanne's and making, I believe, EIGHT 6 foot banquet tables FULL of homemade goodies to send to him while he was in Kosovo. We had such a good time doing that. I remember how proud I was to watch him give his son his army papers to hang on his bedroom wall.
I remember looking at my husbands Navy pictures. How proud I am he served for our country. So far from home for so long, for someone who has to have his family around him.
I am proud of my father in law, who served in Vietnam. My husband's grandfathers who learned how to make the best coffee in a helmet, in the depths of hell during WWII. I am proud to display Pa B's flag in our home. I am proud of my brother in law, who served in the Airforce. I am proud of the wives who get left behind. Left behind to take care of the family, and keep going strong.

To all who have served, to all who are serving, to all who wanted to serve and couldn't. Thank you.
Chris, whimp, danny, and riles.